5 SKINCARE TIPS YOU HAVEN’T HEARD BEFORE
It’s a new year and a time when resolutions are beginning, including your skincare game. One of the biggest lessons that come with age is learning that beauty comes from within. While skin of all ages is beautiful, you also want to look your best so you can feel your best. Nothing gives away your age more than your skin. You want to keep your skin healthy, plump and youthful by adding these simple skincare tips. We know, there are many repetitive skincare tips to be found online but trust us… these aren’t the run-of-the-mill tips. These are 5 skincare tips you haven’t heard before and we are sure they can benefit just about everyone.
Skincare Tip 1: Hyaluronic Acid Serum: Using it correctly
Ok, so you’ve been converted. You know that using a Hyaluronic Acid (HA) serum is a crucial part of any moisturizing skincare routine. But, are you using it correctly and getting the most benefit out of it?
Hyaluronic acid acts as a humectant in your skincare – meaning it draws moisture to your skin. It is quickly absorbed, acting like a sponge, naturally boosting the moisture content in skin. You want to be applying hyaluronic acid to evenly damp skin and following with a moisturizer. Think about it, hyaluronic acid is drawn to moisture so applying to damp skin gives it something to bind to.
Did you Know: Applying HA to dry skin can actually pull moisturize away from the skin, which is not what you want!
How to apply your HA serum:
- After cleansing or after dampening face, apply your hyaluronic serum. A great time would be right after getting out of the shower. It is acceptable, as well, to give your hyaluronic acid serum a spritz in your hands before applying.
- Apply a moisturizer to lock in moisture.
Skincare Tip #2: Adding Licorice Root to your must-have ingredient list
Licorice for skin? Really? YES!
Some of the most innovative skincare formulas include licorice root. This is because of its many benefits for skin. If you are someone who suffers from dark pigmentation, sun spots, rosacea, acne scars or skin conditions you’ll love this ingredient! Licorice root is an herbal extract that is mainly known for its lightening, brightening, antiaging and anti-inflammatory properties.
Lightning & Brightening
Licorice is an all-natural alternative to hydroquinone, a chemical often used to treat hyperpigmentation. When applied topically to dark spots, it can lighten and reduce the production of dark pigments.
Calm Sensitive Skin
Soothing and calming skin is another reason to add licorice root in your skincare routine. It can soothe inflammation and help treat skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis.
Licorice root is a very potent antioxidant and can prevent skin discoloration and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Antioxidants are an imperative part of protecting skin from free radical damage and premature aging.
Licorice regenerates collagen and elastin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Well hello there, Skin Superhero!
Skincare Tip You haven’t heard before #3: Wash your face properly
Believe it or not, how you wash your face can make a huge difference in the condition of your skin. Cleansing skin properly maintains skin’s hydration levels, removes access dirt and oils and helps other skin products work more effectively. Although washing your face might seem like a no-brainer, doing it incorrectly can actually cause premature aging and damage. Aggressively scrubbing with your cleanser or tugging on skin can lead to wrinkles, irritation and acne.
How to Wash Face:
- Wet your face with lukewarm water (optimal temperature!).
- Apply a mild face cleanser using your fingertips.
- Gently massage it into your skin in circular, upward motions. No scrubbing!
- Leave cleanser on for at least 30 seconds, unless instructions indicate otherwise.
- Pat face dry using a clean, soft cloth. No rubbing!
- Using wash cloths or abrasive sponges
- Going crazy with the cleansing tools
- Bar soaps, perfumes and harsh foaming cleansers
- Cleansing wipes – yuck, stop it!
Skincare Tip #4: Amp up your Night time Skincare Regimen
During the day, skin is trying to protect itself from exposure to pollutants, UV rays, smoke and dirt that damage skin cells. At night, skin goes into repair mode. Skin’s metabolic rate increases and becomes slightly more acidic. The production of new skin cells increase more rapidly and the acidity is slightly higher. There is less sebum production at night and skin is more prone to trans epidermal water loss.
- Use a quality, emollient moisturizer that has ingredients that will enhance the body’s natural cell rejuvenation and restoration process.
- Treat yourself to an antiaging mask that gently exfoliates dead skin cells and hydrates dull, tired skin.
- Products with glycolic acid can be your best friend.
- Use any retinoids at night, not during the day.
- Get enough sleep!
During the day, the skin becomes prone to environmental elements that build dirt and oil on the skin’s surface. At night, the skin works to repair itself, actively growing new skin cells that remove daytime damage. Your skin routine during the day should ideally focus on protection from harsh elements while your nighttime regimen should work on restoration. – Induction Therapies
Skincare Tip #5: Stick to a consistent routine.
It cannot be stressed enough that consistency is KEY. Lack of consistency is one of the main reasons why skincare routines fail. No matter how good your products are – you will NOT see results in your skin if you are lazy with your skincare routine.
Life gets stressful and busy so routines can easily be pushed aside. Time is an issue and we know you are super busy. We get the trial and error. No, skincare is not cheap – so you expect results! However, if you don’t build a consistent skincare routine you are basically throwing your money out the window.
Beautiful Skin Takes Time
Real results are possible! We promise! However, let’s be realistic. You are not going to achieve more youthful, healthy skin in a day. Skin needs time to adapt!
What happens when you take care of skin religiously?
Your skin works tirelessly every night to repair and regenerate skin cells while you sleep. Maintaining a regular skincare routine will help your skin cells turn over faster. Skin is constantly turning over so even if your face is glowing today, it might not be tomorrow if you don’t stick with it. Once you see the long term results it is a lot easier to maintain.
How you treat your skin today will help you maintain beautiful skin as you age. Beautiful skin is a lifelong commitment.
We sure hope the Blog: these skincare tips you haven’t heard before was helpful for you and that you did find some ideas and tricks that will boost your skincare regimen.
- Licorice Root For Skin: Nature’s Skin Brightener. Root Science.
- The Importance of a Nighttime Skincare Regimen. Induction Therapies.
- Why A Consistent Skincare Routine is Important. Makeup by Samantha Linn.
- Skin Cleansing 101: Why Washing Your Face is Important. Lankerani, Lela. MD. Board Certified Dermatologist. Westlake Dermatology.
- 5 Reasons Why a Consistent Skincare Routine is Important. Youth.