LAYERING SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Figuring out how to properly layer skincare products can seem overwhelming at first. Research is showing that that we need a combination of skincare ingredients and products to optimize skincare benefits. However, always do what works for you and your skin.
The order you layer skincare products depends on many variables, such as how each ingredient interacts with your skin and how they sit on your skin. It can be difficult to keep straight so a good rule of thumb is “thinnest to thickest.” But again, do what works for you. This is simply advice.
- CLEANSING. First step is washing your face with your favourite cleanser. This is super important to ensure you have a nice clean canvas for the next steps. You want your other products to penetrate to the deeper layers of the skin.
- EXFOLIATION. There are many different exfoliants on the market today so use what works for you. A fan favourite is a face polish option, KELP MY SKIN, This dry cleanser is 100% organic and will gently slough off any dead skin cells. It gives your skin a youthful glow. It is gentle enough to use daily but if you have sensitive skin do what works best for you. This could be once a week.
A great time to cleanse and exfoliate your face is in the shower in the morning, so you don’t have to worry about getting any residue in your hair or mess.
- TONER. Using a toner is important to restore and balance the pH of your skin and close your pores. A toner will also remove any excess oil and dirt that the cleanser might have missed. This will help the active ingredients in your next products, like serums and moisturizers, absorb more effectively in your skin.
** If you use salicylic acid or glycolic acid, this is when you would apply these.
- SERUMS. When it comes to ELLA i SKiN serums, they were created to work synergistically. You don’t need to wait for one to completely dry before putting on another. Except for Vitamin C serum – this one should go on first.
WHY DOES VITAMIN C GO FIRST?
VITAMIN C IS A HIGHLY WATER SOLUBLE MOLECULE SO YOU WANT YOUR SKIN TO BE CLEAR OF PRODUCTS TO ENSURE IT PENETRATES DEEPLY WHILE THE PRODUCT IS ACTIVE.
MAD GLOW Vitamin C serum is very lightweight and only a tiny amount is needed. It has 20% Vitamin C content so results will be seen with consistent use. It is suggested to use Vitamin C every day to protect your skin from free radical damage. Vitamin C has so many antiaging and protective benefits it could have it’s own blog post! Make sure your Vitamin C serum has a suitable concentration for your skin. You should look for a serum that has 10-20% potency if you want to see stronger results more quickly. Wait few minutes for the Vitamin C to sink in before applying other serums.
Next you can apply your peptides, antioxidants, hyaluronic acid, etc. For example, hyaluronic acid is a tad thicker and is a gel-like consistency so goes on well after Vitamin C.
If you don’t want to feel too layered, you can use different ones in the morning vs. night or you can alternate serums between days. It’s good to keep your skin guessing and some never use the same routine each day.
5. MOISTURIZER. You will want to apply your moisturizer after your serums. This will lock in the serum ingredients and keep skin hydrated and protected from external pollutants, such as environment stressors. This is when you would include your eye cream as well.
6. SUN PROTECTION. Lastly, is your sun protection, preferably a physical sunblock. If you plan to wear makeup, let your your sunblock dry before applying.