See ya later, Old Man Winter!
The weather is SLOWWWLY warming up! This is a great time to spring-clean, not only those cluttered closets, but your makeup drawers and beauty bags.
SPRING CLEAN WITH ME! When going through your beauty stash, you might be surprised at what ingredients you find listed in them!
I have pitched skincare products that contain:
- parabens (ie. Methylparaben, propylparaben, ethylparaben) – preservative used in countless skincare and makeup products
- Hydroquinone – this is a lightening agent that bleaches dark spots and hyperpigmentation. It is hard to cut this one because it can work to lighten skin. Hydroquinone has been already been banned in Japan, the European Union, and Ausralia because there is some evidence that it may act as a carcinogen.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) – common ingredient used to produce foaming or bubbling, such as facial cleansers, shampoos, etc.
- Ammonium Sulfate
It is also the perfect opportunity to ditch some bad habits and of course start some new ones!
- NEVER forget to protect your skin. Hopefully you religiously wear sunscreen all year round, even on the dreary days or days you aren’t in the sun. If you don’t, it is time! You need to invest in a good quality SPF. I prefer physical sunscreens, and I try not to use sunscreens that may contain chemicals with higher toxicity concerns, like oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Keep renewing skin with regular exfoliation! Skin can feel dull and extra dry from the winter months. Using KELP MY SKIN cleanser or your favourite exfoliating product to gently shed away dead skin and impurities, leaving you with a springy and dewy glow.
- Antioxidants in your skincare are always important but now more than ever! Your skin is constantly being exposed to free radicals (UV rays, pollution, toxins around us), even when you are wearing sunscreen. Antioxidants protect your skin and can help counteract the damage.
- DO NOT ditch the serums! Serums contain the most face-loving ingredients. Get summer-ready with plump, luxurious skin with ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin C.
- Spring is a great time to splurge on a professional facial. Give your skin a jump-start for the warm weather ahead.
Do you have favourite spring cleaning habits? We would love to hear them!